Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Dreaded Words.....

"Mommy my tummy hurts", cried one of my twins from the backseat.  Recently the kids and I went to the beach to visit my mom.  For "normal" people, this drive should take about 2 1/2 hours.  For us, it took almost 4!  I did this drive, just me and the kids.  We live in Northern Virginia and my mom lives at the beach in Delaware.  To get there we do cut through the District of Columbia, to Rt 50 and go over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.  Now, if you have never driven on this bridge before, it is a very big bridge!  In reality, with no traffic it should take about 6 or 7 minutes to cross.  To me, those minutes feel like 6 or 7 hours!

The whining from the back seat for a potty break started while we were still in DC - on Pennsylvania Avenue - but not the section near the White House!  I was sitting on a bridge going over  the Anacacostia River and there was no where to stop.  The whining continued and still there was no where to stop!  I promised the kids that we would stop as soon as we could. The whining turned to crying and moaning. Once we got to Rt 50 I pulled over at the first McDonald's we came to.  Everyone got out, used the potty and piled back in the car.  Things were fine. We decided to go through the drive through to pick up lunch since the lines inside were so long.   Then it started....my tummy hurts.  Then it happened...my twin was sick all over himself and the new van.  So, what did I do.  Opened all the doors and windows.  Cleaned him up and the van and skipped the McDonald's lunch. Then we waited and waited to make sure there was "no more".  Then I started praying that he would not be sick on the bridge.  We were very close to the Bay Bridge.  Once we got a few miles down the road there would be no where to stop until after we crossed the bridge.  Our Angels were with us that day and my little boy fell asleep before we were at the Toll Plaza and slept almost the rest of the way to Grandma's.  The other kids didn't get a "real" lunch that afternoon, but did survive on the fruit and snacks I had packed.  The bag of lollipops and new DVD didn't hurt either!

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment