Thursday, March 15, 2012

Thunder Road

As soon as we got in the car this morning to head to school, my Baby A (3 year old boy twin) immediately said - "I want music Mom.  I want to hear Thunder Road."  Nothing made me happier than to have one of my kids request a BRUCE song! 

I come from a Bruce family.  I grew up listening to his music. At the risk of sounding like a stalker, we would even drive by his house, (or what we though was his house) hoping for a glimpse of him.   Bruce Springsteen was introduced to me by my older sister at a very early age.  My brother, sisters and I are all big fans and have even gone to quite a few concerts together. I think 2012 is going to be the year for a road trip concert!  I remember in the early 80's when tickets for the Born In The USA tour were going on sale.  This was back in the day, before there was Internet and you could purchase tickets on line.  We had to go STAND in line!  We camped out over night in the local parking lot of Drug Fair (I don't even think this store is still around!).   After waiting all night and one lawn chair and cooler later (I fell asleep and they got stolen!), we were successful and secured the tickets! I am still in shock to this day that my mother let us do that, especially since when concert time came around I was not allowed to go. (I was allowed to go wait in line all night for tickets, but could not actually go to concert because it was in "the City" at Madison Square Garden and it wasn't safe! Yes, Mom, I am still angry about this!) .

My oldest child is seven.  When he was a baby we played Wiggles, Barney, Baby Einstein, etc. all the "kiddie" music.  By the time the twins came along, I was really tired of being in a Wiggles induced coma and decided that I wanted the kids to like my music.  We will also play Radio Disney in the car and while I am not above to singing along to Selena Gomez and the Scene, I would rather listen to Bruce.  My kids all know this and I hope appreciate this.  They all do have favorite songs and ask for them by name and even sing along.  Some of their favorites are: Thunder Road, Born to Run, For You, The Rising, Mrs. McGrath and Girls In Their Summer Clothes.  All excellent songs!  Whenever I hear one of these songs I think of my kids.  I look forward to the day when I take them to their first Bruce concert!  If you have never been to one, they are like no other concert.  It is part concert, part reunion and part revival.  A new album (are they still called that?) came out earlier this month, one of my favorite songs is the bonus track: American Land. I will leave you today with the chorus:

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song
Dear, I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long
There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working man
Who'll make his home in the American land


Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment