Saturday, March 10, 2012

St. Patrick's Day




St. Patrick's Day is next weekend.  Growing up in our Irish Catholic household, this holiday was always a big deal.  My mother and grandmother with their love of all things Irish gave me that gift at a very early age.  The beginning of March, my mother would start to play Irish Music. On St. Patrick's Day she would always cook corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots. She even had special serving dishes that they would go in. This year I will be cooking that same traditional St. Paddy's Day dinner for my family. I might even try to make the Soda Bread from scratch this year. My grandma was as "Irish as the day is long".  She passed away almost five years ago and I do think about her daily, wishing I had five more minutes with her so she could meet my twins. My youngest (Baby B) is named after her and does look like her (at least I like to think so!).   I seem to miss my grandma more around St. Patrick's Day.  When she was younger she marched in all the parades and had great stories to tell.  As she got older she was content to watch the parade on TV but still dressed her full Irish regalia for the day.  When I cooked corned beef for the very first time, it was my grandmother that I called and she walked me through it over the phone.

I hope that I can share this sense of tradition, culture and heritage with my children. They all have Irish names and I can't wait for them to be a little older and take them to the Emerald Isle.

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig!

No comments:

Post a Comment