Friday, October 5, 2012

Making a Mess....Part 2

Last week I wrote a post on my house envy and how it seems like every time I turn around there is something that needs to be cleaned up.  The kids' rooms are always a mess and there are toys everywhere. I saw a sign posted on Facebook yesterday, I don't remember the exact wording, but it said something to likes of:  "My house is not messy, my children are creating memories".   That is so, so true! 

As I'm sitting typing this in the room that serves as our office/library/playroom, I see the following:

-A doll discarded in the corner
-Yesterday's cereal on the table (it is in a small bag -dry -no milk, that would be gross, even for us!)
-Construction Paper on the floor
-A very messy shelf with dolls, piles of books and stickers


You are probably thinking this doesn't look so bad....you may be right, but you can't really see all the things shoved behind the basket!
Same here - that pink elephant can hide a lot of stuff behind it!!


My children see:

-Their baby taking a nap
-A snack for later
-Material for their boat (they are using a large cardboard box to create a ship!)
-A fun shelf they can reach that has books and arts & crafts supplies

On my dining room table, I see:

-A dirty table cloth from when I had my family over LAST month for dinner
-Halloween outfits that have been sitting there for several weeks and need to go upstairs
-Over a thousand Lego's that need to be put away

My children see:

-A Lego world that they created.  Complete with helicopters, secret doors, furniture and monsters.  They have all been working on this together everyday this week after school.  They have included friends on this project too.  Each day they add more details and adventures to their world.

At least the Legos are hiding all the stains!
 

I am going to attemp to check my OCD for the next four or five years and enjoy listening to my children playing together, laughing together and most importantly, making memories together.

Have a great weekend!


1 comment:

  1. That is a nice perspective. I need to focus on that too (our kids making memories rather than the imperfections in the house). It was fun to see your view compared to your children's views.

    : 0 ) Theresa (Capri + 3)

    ReplyDelete