Friday, October 12, 2012

Broken Record

"You sound like a broken record".  I said this to my oldest daughter the other day.  This prompted much confusion and many questions from my two older children.  After this was said, my oldest immediately wanted to know exactly which sporting record his sister had broken.  My daughter was confused and asked what a record was.  I explained the version I was talking about, with a story - here goes:  

When I was a little girl.  This was something that your Grandmother would say to me.  (My daughter added in, Grandma isn't here.  My response, let me finish!).   This was something that Grandma would say to me when I would keep asking her the same thing over and over and over again.  When I was little we didn't have music on CD's (my son asked, did you have a radio? My response, let me finish!).  We would listen to music on records.  These were bigger than CD's and had lines in them.  We would put them on a record player and there would be a needle that would read the music and play it through the speakers.  Sometimes the needed would get stuck and play the same thing over and over and over again. (my son then said, wow that would be annoying!  My response, yes it would!).  I continued, when you ask the same thing over and over and over again, my answer will always be the same and you don't need to ask more than once.  If I tell you just give me a minute, that means that I heard you, I am doing something right now and you are next in line.

Now, my example was probably not the best nor most accurate description of a turntable and/or record.  But, for my 5 year old and 7 year old this seemed to have done the trick.  Here is hoping to no more "broken records" in our household (unless they are swimming related of course!).

How do you deal with your children when they keep asking you the same thing over and over and over again?  Do your answers change? Or do you hold firm?

Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. After the 2nd repeat, I usually ask questions back to them instead of answering. And they answer their own questions!

    ReplyDelete