Saturday, August 31, 2013

Rise and Shine! It's Breakfast Time!

My oldest son is not a morning person.  He is also not a breakfast person.  He does not like to eat when he first wakes up.  He is content to wait a few hours, then eat cold fried rice for breakfast!  On school mornings we do not have time for this.  I also am a believer in breakfast.  Especially on school days.  We need to make the bus, and that means my children need to eat before they leave.  I am always on the look out for cheap and easy recipes.  I have two that I have tested out this past week and know they will come in handy for school mornings!


 Stuffed French Toast  
 
These are the placemats my friend brought me back from India!


I see this recipe becoming a family favorite!  It was easy to make, I used ingredients that I had on hand.  You can even assemble the night before and bake in the morning!
 



Ingredients:
6 Slices of Bread (I used whole wheat because that is what we had!)
3 Eggs
1/4 c Skim Milk
1 tbsp. Cinnamon
1 tbsp. Vanilla
1 tbsp. Brown Sugar + more to sprinkle on top
8 oz. Cream Cheese  (see picture)
1 1/2 c Blueberries
Cooking Spray
 
I happened to have this flavor on hand & it worked out great!
I keep blueberries on hand in freezer.  We picked them earlier this summer!

 
-Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
-Take a small casserole dish and spray with cooking spray
-Take two slices of bread spread with cream cheese, place them in dish cream cheese side up
-Take two slices of bread, spread with cream cheese, place them cream cheese side down on top of other slices
-Spread cream cheese on top of two slices you just placed in dish
-Take two more slices of bread spread with cream cheese, place them in dish cream cheese side down
-In small bowl, beat eggs, add in milk, vanilla, cinnamon and brown sugar.  You can adjust ratios of cinnamon, vanilla and brown sugar based on your preferences.   Pour mixture over bread.
-Top with Blueberries, sprinkle with Brown Sugar
-Bake for 35 minutes
-Serve warm & enjoy!




Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
 
You read that right.  Cookies for breakfast.  Not only do they taste good, but they are good for you!  I made a test batch of these last week and they were gone within 15 minutes!  Super easy to make and the kids can do pretty much all the work.  That is win-win!
 
 
 
 

Ingredients:
 
2 Large Ripe Bananas
1 c Quick Cooking Oats
1/4 C Raisins
Cooking Spray
 
-Pre-Heat Oven to 350 degrees
-Generously Spray your cookie sheet with nonstick spray
-Mash Bananas in bowl
-Add Oats
-Mix well
-Add Raisins
-Mix well
-Form into balls and place on cookie sheet
-Press down into disc shape
-Bake For 15 minutes
 
Makes approximately 16 cookies.
 
These are best served warm.  On school mornings I am going to make a half batch and bake them in my toaster oven!
 
 
 
 
Thanks for stopping by.  Please let me know if you try either of these.  Your kitchen will smell great while they are baking! 



Please note: my Oatmeal Cookie Recipe is adapted from one I found on The Burlap Bag.  They are very cool and have lots of yummy cookie recipes! Please check them out!  www.burlapbag.com

No comments:

Post a Comment