Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Easy Asian Inspired Entree

You all know that I am a huge fan of cooking once and eating twice (or sometimes 3x!) from the same key ingredient.  This minimizes my time in the kitchen, maximizes my time with my kids and helps to disguise the dreaded "left over"!

My kids are a huge fan of Chinese food.  Take out can get pricey and is very tricky to navigate pick up with four hungry kids!  I have started making the following recipe on a regular basis.  It is super easy and most importantly my kids love it!

Pork Fried Rice

The first time I made this my oldest son told me it was the best thing I ever made.  Ever.  My youngest son told me it was better that the Chinese Restaurant.  Both very high compliments from these two!  I make this dish with leftover pork tenderloin.  In fact, we are having this tonight.  Last night I made a pork tenderloin on the grill.  Super easy - heat up your grill on high for five minutes.  While that is heating rub a pork rub on the tenderloin.  When grill is hot, turn down to medium and throw the tenderloin on.  Cook for 20 minutes.  Flip. Cook for another 20 minutes, and you are done!  Here is what you need to make the Fried Rice Dish:

-2 cups cooked cubed pork
-1 bag of peas & carrots frozen mixed vegetables
-chopped onions or scallions (about 1/4 Cup - my kids don't like onions)
-3 eggs
-2 cups cooked rice (great way to use your leftover rice!)
-Soy Sauce
-Canola Oil


Take a frying pan (we don't have a wok - note to husband, woks are not suitable birthday gifts) and spray it with cooking spray. Take your eggs, whisk them together and add to pan.  Cook in your fry pan until scrambled.  Remove eggs from pan and place in separate dish.  Clean pan.

Add canola oil to clean pan (a few tablespoons).  When pan has been heated, add onions, then add peas & carrot mixture.  Cook until tender.  Add pork.  Mix together until heated through.  Add rice.  Stir.  Keep stirring so nothing sticks or burns.  Add soy sauce  - enough to cover - about 1/2 bottle.  (We use the low sodium or sodium free one.)  Keep stirring!  Add in cooked eggs. Stir everything together, cook a few more minutes until everything is heated throughout and your are done!

Easy Pork Fried Rice



If you do not eat pork or are not a fan, you could definitely substitute chicken.

I have a great Beef &  Broccoli recipe that I will post soon!

Thanks for stopping by!  How do you give your left overs a second life?

No comments:

Post a Comment