Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Easy Enchiladas!

I am all about cooking once, eating twice.   Cooking things that let me spend the minimum time in the kitchen and the maximum time with my kids!  So what does this mean!?!  I cook something and get two meals out of it.  One of my all time favorite things is oven roasted chicken.  You can do so much with this versatile protein.  This is something that I cook year round.  Last Thursday I made my chicken and was able to get three meals out of it!  We had the roasted chicken Thursday night with vegetables for dinner.  On Saturday I made chicken salad for lunch.  After lunch, I took the left over chicken shredded it and put it in the freezer.  This morning I took my bag of shredded chicken (about 2lbs) out of the freezer, put it in the fridge and by 5pm it was ready to go!   For tonight's dinner, we used the shredded chicken in Enchiladas.  We will have an easy, quick and homemade meal that not only tastes great but is pocketbook friendly too!

Ingredients:
-2 small cans Enchilada Sauce
-Shredded Chicken (I had about 2lbs left)
-1 bag Shredded Cheddar Cheese
-1 tablespoon of Sour Cream
-1 pack of Tortillas

My kids like the mild sauce.  The sauce with the Green Chile is great too!


Steps:
-Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
-Take a Pyrex Pan (or casserole dish). Pour 1/2 can of sauce on bottom of pan
-Take your chicken and put it in a large microwave safe, mixing bowl, add remaining 1/2 can of sauce, sour cream and 1/2 the bag of cheese.
-Mix well
-Microwave chicken mixture on high for 1 minute, 30 seconds
-Take each tortilla and fill with a scoop of the chicken mixture, roll and place in pan
-Repeat until you run out of chicken mixture
-Pour 2nd can of Enchilada Sauce on top
-Top with Remaining Cheese
-Bake for 20-25 minutes, cheese will be nicely melted

This is what the chicken mixture should look like

This is a dish that not only my children love to eat, but they love to help make!


 
Getting ready to go in the oven!

 





Just out of the oven.  Smells Great!

We will serve this with a salad or black beans on the side. If you make it at home, please be sure to let me know what you think!  What are some of your favorite cook once, eat twice meals?

Thanks for stopping by & enjoy your evening!


No comments:

Post a Comment