Monday, May 7, 2012

Laundry Baskets - multiple uses, when you have multiples+

Snow Babies

One of our many ways to use a laundry basket!  As a SLED!




In our house, laundry baskets have many, many uses.  Of course, they are used to hold and transport the never ending piles of laundry!  But, very often they are commandeered (or just swiped when I'm not looking) and put to better use!






One of my most favorite ways we have ever used a laundry basket was as an impromptu sled!  The twins were not quite one yet, and we had some unexpected snow.  Lots and lots of unexpected snow.  Living in Virginia we don't really have all the cold weather "gear" on hand like our friends up North!  I wanted the babies to be able to experience the snow for the first time.  I knew that there was no way my stroller would get through it.  I also knew that I could not hold both babies and still watch and play with my then three year old.  So, I got out a laundry basket! We piled in the quilts, added the babies and more quilts on top and off we went!



Another way I loved using the laundry basket with the twins was as a choo-choo train.  I would put a soft blanket down, add the babies and the older kids and I would push them around the room. (very slowly and carefully!).  The babies loved it -  both the movement and watching their older brother and sister.  They would laugh and laugh!

Now a days, it is the kids who are taking the laundry baskets and letting their imaginations soar.  Just yesterday, one of my smaller baskets was turned upside down and used as a turtle shell, then it was a dog crate. (the "puppy" (baby B) was being trained and liked to eat cat food!).   This kept the twins occupied for almost an hour.  I was actually able to get a lot of laundry folded and put away during this time!  The larger laundry baskets are turned upside down and converted to: cafe tables, school desks, exam room tables for people and pets, triplet strollers and hotel front desks!

I do have some other more "practical" uses for laundry baskets!  We use them to store toys.  I have also used them when packing - when going to the beach or other vacation rentals, use the baskets to put your sheets, towels, etc. in and you are ready to go when you get there!

What are some of the things that your kids do to "convert" everyday household items?

Have a great evening!

4 comments:

  1. Not the laundry basket, but my twins love to drive their bumbo chairs around like ride-on cars

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of those uses for laundry baskets! It sounds like your kids have had many hours of fun with the baskets. The dog crate and turtle shell are fun and I love the sled. We will have to try some of your ideas. Thanks for linking to Multiples Monday on Capri + 3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments ladies! Olusola love the bumbo chairs! My twins had those too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture of your twins in the laundry basket out in the snow! That's precious!

    My kids are a little young (15 months) to find different uses for items....unless you count turning everything they can find into teething toys! :)

    ReplyDelete